Reporting to the Vice President of Communications and External Affairs, the Director of Digital Strategy and Network Communications will set and guide the strategy for IWPR’s communications in three important areas: all of IWPR’s digital and social media platforms, email communications to its list of supporters, and the IWPR website. They will work to ensure these platforms maintain brand and messaging consistency and integrate seamlessly with broader organizational communications strategies. They will also be responsibility for developing a comprehensive strategy for growing IWPR’s social media following and email lists and for crafting metrics to demonstrate success. The ideal candidate will be a self-directed digital communications expert with deep experience working within a larger communications team, leading organization-wide digital strategy, and a proven track record of success.
The position is an onsite position based in Washington, DC.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Strategy, Vision and Leadership
• Collaboratively develop and implement digital communications campaigns to advance IWPR’s mission, and broaden awareness of its events, research, programs, and priorities;
• Work effectively with the Communications team to ensure digital strategy integrates seamlessly with broader organizational communications plans;
• Develop a comprehensive plan for sustained digital engagement of target audiences designed to grow IWPR’s reach, following, and influence;
• Work with the senior leadership team and research staff to identify internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and to define and execute appropriate strategies to support them; and
• Serve as an advisor to IWPR leadership on broad digital strategy.
• Oversee the strategic operations and calendaring of all IWPR’s social media platforms: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and its blog “In The Lead”;
• Maintain a fresh daily “face” for all social media platforms, with strategic posts that echo IWPR’s current priorities and messaging and integrate with broader communications strategies;
• Develop and execute sustained social media engagement campaigns to grow IWPR’s following on all platforms;
• Draft social media content on a daily basis and shepherd through approval to posting;
• Employ design software, i.e. Canva, to craft social media infographics, data visualizations, and multimedia content to further engage audiences;
• Develop and implement metrics and reporting systems to measure IWPR’s strategic growth, impact, and success on social media;
• Work with IWPR’s development team to integrate social media outreach into fundraising plans; and
• Constantly explore new platforms and new innovative opportunities for social media engagement for IWPR, including social media advertising.
• Develop and implement an organization-wide plan for the strategic engagement of IWPR’s list of supporters, including list engagement and growth, list cleanup, and ongoing maintenance;
• Develop list segmentation policies and plans for sustained engagement for individual segments;
• Collaboratively work across the departments to develop an organization-wide calendar for email engagement that is well-integrated into all strategic communications planning efforts;
• Partner with IWPR’s development team to integrate fundraising into overall email outreach plans;
• Craft a comprehensive plan to measure success, the growth of IWPR’s email list, account for attrition, and reduce IWPR’s spam and unsubscribe metrics; and
• Advise senior leadership on best practices with regard to email engagement.
• Develop and implement a comprehensive plan for integrating IWPR’s website into broader strategic communications plans;
• Proactively monitor and maintain IWPR’s website on a daily basis to ensure all content is up to date and accurate;
• Plan, outline, and build new web pages and website sections as needed
• Manage outside web consultants.
Other Personal and Professional Qualifications
• Experience working within a communications team to coordinate plans across multiple channels and platforms.
• Experience building a strategic communications plan that targets multiple stakeholder audiences and leverages digital and social media platforms.
• Strong portfolio of past digital campaigns, design work, data visualization, and social media engagement tools.
• Excellent persuasive writing, editing, verbal communications skills, and presentation skills.
• Proven track record of effectively interacting with diverse stakeholders including executives, researchers, allies, and coalitions.
• Superior problem-solving, managerial and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work strategically and collaboratively across the organization.
• Effective, versatile, and action-oriented.
• Ability to work well under pressure with tight deadlines and multiple priorities.
• Nonprofit, issue advocacy experience a plus.
Education and Experience
• Master’s degree preferred in one of the following fields: advocacy, public relations, communications, digital strategy, or related field. At least 10 years’ experience in digital communications at the director level.
$102,000 to $120,000 and will be commensurate with experience. IWPR provides competitive salaries and a generous benefits package.